Thursday, March 19, 2009

my buddies

in the past couple weeks, both of my nephews have said things which caused me to stop and appreciate the moment. aiden called up out of the blue while i was still in boston and told me "if i could fly anywhere right now, i'd fly to where you are." oh man.
and yesterday, i got to spend some great one-on-one time with isaac. while we were discussing my next hike (isaac thought i meant a park down the street, but i'm planning on something a little longer...) he turned to me and said "i wish i could go everywhere you go, kevin" and gave me a big hug.

i take a couple things away from those encounters: it feels great to know we've got such a strong bond, though it makes it all the more difficult every time i leave. and i love the spirit of adventure in their thoughts. the fact they are willing and eager to fly, hike, go puts a smile on my face. sure, they don't grasp the realities of those choices yet, but on some level, they understand those desires hold the potential for fun and excitement. and that's enough for now. wanderlust can be awesome.

jack and the bean stalk:

5 comments:

  1. Sheesh - whose cute kid is that anyway??? You're right - a few details might be off, but everyone loves a happy ending, right? Thanks again for yesterday - he needed a change of scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love watching this over and over. his voice is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is tooo adorable! Aren't nieces and nephews so much fun!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...I'm so glad you have these little sweeties who love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought tears to my eyes. What sweet boys, and I'm willing to bet their uncle is a pretty great one since they love him so much.

    ReplyDelete